Friday, October 7, 2016

Learning to knit cute things

I can't knit. I have tried knitting; I have even done knitting stitches with knitting needles. And yet everything I make comes out to be an ugly knitted thing. So what is a village homesteader to do when she can't knit?

And then I came across sock knitting on loom. It's kind of nifty. The loom is a frame lined with pins.
Knitting on a sock knitting loom.
The pins have grooves on one side and a rounded head. You loop the yard around the pins and use a knitting tool which it looks like a small hook to loop the yarn and create the knitting stitches – depending on the direction, you can create a knit, purl or flat stitch. You can use knitting looms to make socks and hats or use a larger version to make scarves or even blankets.

This seemed to be the knitting solution for me.

I've been using a sock loom now since early spring. I’m actually on my second loom, the first having contributed to my learning experience. I’ve managed to complete two socks, though I hesitate to call them a “pair of socks” even though I made them from matched yarn. One sock is decidedly bigger than the other. The other sock doesn't fit around my foot. For both socks, I have the wrong weighted yarn and the wrong number of pegs on the loom.

Did I mention that I still learning to knit with the loom?

There are a couple types of looms on the market. I am currently using the Authentic Knitting's 9"x3" Sock Loom Knitting Board, made from heavy wood and metal pins. I started using this one after finishing up the second sock – I broke a plastic pin on the first loom I purchased. The entire loom was made from plastic but I had thought the pins were metal. I was wrong. I attempted to glue the broken pin in place, which worked until I was knitting the sock’s toe. It snapped again and I ended up moving that stitch to a neighboring pin. With that experience, I strongly recommend getting a loom that has metal pins rather than plastic ones.

Another thing to keep in mind when using a sock loom make sure to use sock weight or fingerling yarn. This makes a big difference, as I learned in the first pair of mismatched socks. The yarn I used was too heavy and hard to work with, making the stitches too tight. Plus, it’s fun using the lightweight sock yarn. It has a nice feel and there are several different types, even including several cozy baby weight yarns. If you use variegated yarns, like I have, you end up with striped socks. It’s like an unfolding surprise to watch the stripes form as you knit.

The mismatched practice socks.
I am still at risk of making ugly knitted things. Of course, ugly knitted socks might be a fashion statement….  But the idea of making cute, soft and cozy socks to curl up in on a snowy day is definitely an attraction. If I get talented enough they might even find their way into Christmas baskets. Next year’s Christmas baskets, maybe.

I suggest anyone who is struggling to knit or to do other yarn arts, like crochet, have a try at a sock loom. It's not difficult, although you still have to count your stitches and how big a row is. There are several good sock loom knitting books available and I suggest checking them out. Your local library might have them and certainly your craft store and online.

So while I have a quilt top basted and ready for the hoop, you’ll find me in the late evening, curled up on the corner of the couch, actually knitting. And it might even turn out to be a cute knitted thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment